Expatriate and Seafarers Tax


We provide advice on the income tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax consequences of leaving the UK for the short and the long term and on establishing your residence and domicile position with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

Individuals leaving the United Kingdom If you are leaving the UK to work we can advise on the destination country’s tax legislation and how this interacts with UK tax legislation, provide tax planning to maximise the tax benefit of periods of non-UK residence, advise on letting your UK property whilst you are outside of the UK, including HMRC’s non-resident landlord scheme, advise with regard to ongoing UK tax and NIC obligations including tax return preparation and filing.


If you’re a seafarer being paid by a UK company, it’s likely that full UK PAYE is being deducted from your wages.

Seafarers, however, can avail of certain deductions which mean you could be in line for a refund; in some circumstances the refund can be 100% of the UK tax paid.

Seafarers Earning Deduction (SED)

In prior years, the Seafarers Earnings Deduction (SED) was only available to seafarers ordinarily resident in the UK. From 6 April 2011 however the SED became available to all residents of the EEA. As a result, if you meet the relevant conditions you could be eligible to claim a significant refund.

Non-Resident Mariner

If you don’t qualify for SED but you’re not resident in the UK, you may still be due a refund in respect of non-UK duties. You should note that duties undertaken in the UK sector of the North Sea are classified as being undertaken within the UK. As a result no relief is available for duties performed in the UK sector of the North Sea.

To learn more about your tax entitlements, call Sean Lee on 01454 856010 or e-mail him at slee@taxsaversdirect.com for more information.

Downend: 0117 9070906
Portishead: 01275 848951
Thornbury: 01454 856010
Worle: 01934 511139
Bristol: 0117 9041859
Email: info@taxsaversdirect.com